Electronic Repeat Dispensing (eRD) for community pharmacies
A new range of tools have been released by NHS Digital to support the understanding and usage of electronic Repeat Dispensing (eRD):
- The NHS Digital eRD toolkit can be accessed here: maximising-erd-toolkit1 It will help you understand what eRD is and what the benefits of using it are. Learn how it works, link to eRD dispenser guides, how to manage payment claims and how to explain eRD to patients. You can also watch the NHS Digital eRD toolkit presentation here https://youtu.be/jzDkpaYibws
- Visit the NHS digital article for eRD for dispensers here: https://digital.nhs.uk/article/914/Electronic-repeat-dispensing-for-dispensers This explains what questions you need to ask each time you issue an eRD prescription and has links to the eRD toolkits and guidance for using eRD in community pharmacy (at the bottom of the article.)
- Register to join an on-demand eRD webinar to find out about; the benefits of eRD; how eRD works; how to develop a local eRD strategy; identifying suitable patients; prescription syncing and electronic cancellation.
In support of NHS Digital’s current campaign to increase the use of electronic Repeat Dispensing (eRD), PSNC have produced a two-page factsheet for community pharmacy teams. One side contains key phrases to help advise patients on the benefits of eRD, whilst the other side provides a list of questions to ask patients collecting a repeat prescription.
NHS England have also published guidance to help with questions around Electronic Repeat Dispensing. Click on this link which includes answers to the questions listed below:
- Does the patient need a nomination?
- How do you prescribe an electronic repeat dispensing prescription?
- How do you dispense an electronic repeat dispensing prescription?
- What is a Repeat Authorisation Token?
- Do I need to issue a Repeat Authorisation Token?
- What about ‘when required medication’?
- Can a prescriber cancel all or part of an electronic repeat dispensing prescription?
- Can a prescriber amend all or part of an electronic repeat dispensing prescription?
- Can the patient change nomination mid-cycle?
- What if the nomination is removed completely?
- When do subsequent issues of an electronic repeat dispensing prescription become available?
- Can a patient obtain subsequent issues of an electronic repeat dispensing prescription early?
- What if the patient changes GP practice with outstanding electronic repeat dispensing issues?
- What if the prescriber changes GP practice with outstanding electronic repeat dispensing issues?
- Safeguards of electronic repeat dispensing
- Benefits of electronic repeat dispensing